Movement Media, February 19, 2019
Movement Media Seeks Communications Associate
Movement Media is seeking an outstanding individual with a passion for social change to play a key role in supporting Movement Media’s work for our remarkable clients in the role of Communications Associate. This new team member will be part of a unique company that maintains exceptionally high standards while working in a dynamic, fast paced, and forward thinking environment serving highly visible clients on critical issues related to social justice, environmental sustainability, and socially responsible business.
- This is a full-time, at-will, salaried, and exempt position requiring a commitment of 40 hours per week Monday through Friday between the hours of
9:00amand 6:00pm, with additional overtime hours occasionally required;
- Salary begins at $41,000 annually;
- Benefits include no-deductible health insurance & dental and vision, generous 401K-retirement contribution of 15% of base-pay (after a three-month introductor period),
potentialfor an annual bonus, generous PTO, and more;
- Position is based out of our Washington, D.C. office;
- Starts as soon as March 11, 2019.
- Work on behalf of clients such as Dr. Bronner’s, Vote Hemp, Regenerative Organic Alliance, and others;
- Engage in media outreach, distribute press releases and regularly pitch compelling news stories through phone calls and emails;
- Engage in targeted media research and build media contact lists;
- Facilitate media requests, responding to journalists in a timely manner;
- Oversee inventory of press materials and shipping and handling of incoming and outgoing mail related to media relations projects;
- Track media through maintaining a database and archive of press coverage;
- Document workload and assigned projects;
- Create, edit, and/or write communications materials;
- Represent the brand or project to the media;
- Passionate about social issues and interested in supporting the work of campaigns that bolster progressive causes;
- Self-managed, dependable, and act with trustworthiness, integrity, and discretion;
- Confident, outgoing, down to earth, and highly cooperative;
- An extremely savvy, effective, and responsive communicator in person, on the phone, and via the written word, including email;
- A self-starter with the ability to think independently and work autonomously when necessary;
- Proactive, and show initiative to continually improve your work and contribute to the organization;
- A flexible, creative problem solver with strong analytical skills;
- Committed to executing your work with precision, care, and acumen;
- Experienced in project management from conception to completion;
- Able to lift 40 lbs. unassisted.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Superb organizational and time management skills;
- Minimum 2 years [communications/PR experience] related to the responsibilities described herein;
- Background working in communications and journalism, social justice movements, policy related to progressive causes and/or in the natural products industry;
- Experience in data and project management;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- A positive, and “can do” attitude, as well as a cooperative, not competitive, work style;
- An aptitude for working with online platforms such as PR Newswire, Cision, Mailchimp, WordPress, and Meltwater;
- Highly proficient skills in Microsoft Office, Dropbox, and Google Drive.
This position is essential to our company infrastructure and allows us to provide optimum service to clients such as Dr. Bronner’s, Fair World Project, Vote Hemp, Regenerative Organic Alliance, and others. Applicants should be familiar with these entities and interested in the work they do, and also be familiar with the content on our website, http://www.wearemovementmedia.com.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org a one-paragraph introduction along with an attached zip file or dropbox link with the following application packet in PDF format:
- Cover letter: Min. 800 words; including information tailored to this particular job about why you are interested in and passionate about this position; why you would be a good fit; and what skills you offer; and why you are interested in working with our clients, such as Dr. Bronner’s, Vote Hemp, and the Regenerative Organic Alliance;
- Two writing samples from the last 2 years;
- Two relevant professional references from the last 3 years;
Note: Please consider your application your first assignment related to the (potential) job. All applications that do not submit the full application packet with the content and in the format specified above will not be considered. Please demonstrate complete competence and attention to detail in the application process, including demonstrating impeccable attention to correct grammar and spelling.
Movement Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, women, people of diverse gender identities, LGBTQ persons, and people of unconventional educational backgrounds to apply.